Baptisms are celebrated in English, Spanish & Portuguese all year but usually not during Advent or Lent.
Please call the business office 732-222-3216 to set up your child’s baptism.
Please call the Parish Office in advance to sign up for this session.
According to Canon [Church] Law a Sponsor [Godparent] must:
- Be a Baptized and Confirmed Catholic who attends weekly Mass and regularly receives Eucharist [The Church, like most groups or organizations, only permit full-fledged. active members to sponsor new members]
- Be at least 14 years old
- Lead a good, moral life one that is consistent with Church teaching, and be a Christian role model
- Not be one of the parents
- If married, the marriage rite must have been performed according to the rites and regulations of the Catholic Church
- Be a registered member of their own parish from which they must obtain a Sponsor Certificate.
Only one sponsor is necessary for Baptism; by ancient custom two are usually chosen: a godfather and godmother. Hence, if two are chosen, Canon Law requires one to be a female and the other male.
Since only one sponsor is needed, a non-Catholic Christian may be chosen AS LONG AS ONE SPONSOR IS CATHOLIC. This `Christian Witness` must be a baptized member of a Christian faith community who fulfills all other sponsor requirements above: #2, #3, #4 & #6. A Catholic can never serve as a Christian witness.
Since godparents join parents in renewing their Baptismal Promises at the Rite of Baptism, the non-baptized cannot be a sponsor. While members of other faiths are warmly welcomed to attend our rites, they cannot partake in Eucharist or serve as godparents, as they cannot renew the Baptismal Promises they never made.